Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Last Few Weeks: Part One


About three weeks ago, things started getting busy.  Like, abnormally busy.  I didn't realize it then, but it was going to be a good almost-four-weeks before I could take a breath, let my mind clear and just relax.  I was about to embark on a whirlwind Southwest roadtrip with my sister, spend some mad dervish days here at home preparing that sister for the second leg of her trip, host a birthday party, attend a film festival, throw my back out and, apparently because I was bored?, redesign my blog.

Sigh, c'est la vie.

I'll get to most of that other stuff in the coming days but, for now, I just really wanted to share with you all the beautiful pictures my dear friend Serena took when we went on our first "California Appreciation Day" hike a few weeks ago.  It's days like these, when you can go for a walk in a tank top along the coast in the dead of winter, that make appreciating the Bay Area not too difficult (even if it is because we're destroying our planet through climate change).

Our day started with a drive around the Bolinas Lagoon and estuary, and I'm so sad I didn't take any pictures of it because it really is one of the most peaceful places I've been to.  If you're ever in the area and it's a nice day, I would definitely suggest checking it out!  When we got to the Palomarin Trailhead, after a winding drive along the coast (not loads of fun if you get car sick like me), we headed out on the 4 mile trek to our destination: Alamere Falls.  The trail down to the actual falls, which empties on a beach, is a bit sketchy in some places -- and by "some places" I mean the part where you have to use a rickety old rope to scale some scraggly cliffs -- so my friends and I decided to go down about halfway and stay there, just above the beach.

I can't begin to express how breathtaking this place is.  From our perch, we could see the coastline stretch down the way we had come and up all the way to Point Reyes Station.  We could watch the waves come in and swallow up the beach as the tide rose, and we could listen to the stream bubble it's way into several pools before hitting the falls and the sand below.  While there was a boy scout troop down at the beach while we were there, it was still a really quiet and restful place to be.

A perfect way to spend the day with great friends.  And a very nice start to more California adventures!


[Photos courtesy of Serena Quiroga]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...