Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What I'm Listening To Lately

I'm one of those people who can listen to the same song, the same album over and over and over.  I can listen to something on repeat for hours, days, even weeks.  If it grabs me, I'm sold.  It's always been easy for me to get lost in music and lyrics, in the stories they tell, in the way they make me feel.  So I thought I'd share some of the music I've been listening to lately. 


Jack's Mannequin is one of my favorite bands, so it's no surprise that I've had their album on rotation since I saw them perform in San Francisco last week. If you've haven't listened to them lately, or you've never heard of them to begin with (it's surprising to me how many people fall into this category), I'd suggest checking them out.  You could also check out Something Corporate (the lead singer's other band), or the documentary, "Dear Jack" (have tissues handy).


If I could sound like any singer in this whole wide world, it would be Brooke Fraser.  I started listening to her when her first album was all I'd hear on the radio while studying in New Zealand (she's Kiwi), and then a few years ago I started looking for anything else I could find from her.  She's sung with Hillsong United (Christian rock group), and her last album "Albertine" is a-ma-zing.  While I like Albertine a little more than this current album, "Flags" still has some great music on it.  She's staying on rotation for a while.


Now, Amos Lee is pretty new for me, even though this is one of his older albums.  I've always liked the one or two songs of his that I found here and there, but I've never actually listened to an entire album until now.  I want to kick myself for that.  This album is perfect music for a quiet day at home, if you're puttering around the house and want something soothing and relaxing in the background.  This album has been on repeat lately since I find myself doing a lot of that very activity.  Puttering.  Puttering and Amos Lee go hand in hand.  Okay, and it has to be said: his voice is pretty sexy too.


Alright, this album was a given, right?  I feel like I have to give it a try.  And I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed.  It's just...okay.  Like, really.  There are a few songs on it that I like a lot: The Belle Brigade's "I Didn't Mean It" and Imperial Mammoth's "Requiem on Water".  Of course Aqualung.  There are songs by Endtapes, Angus & Julia Stone and Sleeping at Last that are good.  And then there's Bruno Mars.  Bruno.  Mars.  On the Breaking Dawn Soundtrack.  That's where it lost me.  Maybe I just want it to be the New Moon Soundtrack so badly (because that one was great) and it's just not.  It's just not.  So I'm gonna give it just one more shot before it's taken off rotation.

What are you listening to lately?


****************************************
I'm currently working to figure out The Mystery of the Disappearing Comment Link.  Until then, if you'd like to comment on this post, just click on the post title.  It'll take you to the posts' individual page and you can comment at the bottom.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...